Monday, July 13, 2009

Learning to Listen

Yoga starts the time you step out from the Studio, not the time you step in. Learn yoga in the Studio to practice outside, in the real world. Most of us, we know a lot of things but how about put it into practice?

The Vertigo attack on April 24th changes my life, entirely. I was not able to do a lot of things, which most of us take it for granted including myself. How true what people said – you’ll only appreciate when you’ve lost it.

I was not able to walk my normal pace, not to mention rock climbing.
I was not able to dash out from the bed every morning.
I was not able to bring Beanie for a walk.
I was not able to drive and ride.
I was not able to hear properly thus can’t play Er Hu.
I was not able to read for 20 mins continuously.
I was not able to practice most of the asanas.

I believe in nature’s cure and our brain is capable of adapting to problems involving senses. For example, blind person often find that their other senses, especially hearing, improve tremendously to make up for their eyesight.

In my case, my brain can adjust to the new situation and after a time, could be months or years before the Vertigo gradually disappears. For this to occur, however, my brain must be regularly exposed to the misleading messages from the inner ear. If this doesn’t happen, it cannot adapt and there will be no cure.

Because my Vertigo occurs only during certain movements, and because the symptoms are unpleasant, there was almost irresistible temptation to avoid those movements and so avoid the symptoms. But I knew by doing so, I miss the opportunity for a natural cure.

Since I refused medications, yoga-ing is the only way for me to get my life back. It wasn’t easy but not impossible. As I always said in the Studio, listen to the body and I am learning to listen all over again.

10 comments:

.:: Ant ::. said...

Ahhhhh... with awareness, comes the opportunity of improving on the greatest sense....listening to the 6th! ^_^

+Ant+

yamuna, yogini said...

Yeap, you are absolutely right.

.:: Ant ::. said...

Hi, please catch me at a new address of http://lifesimpermanence.blogspot.com.

Take care! :)
+Ant+

Gratitude said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gratitude said...

Hi, please write to vajrayana2005@yahoo.com so that I cld include your into my new blog :)
+Ant+

Gratitude said...

This blog is getting mouldy. Please update! :P ^_^
+Ant+

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am a yogi and I have been experiencing vertigo for the past two weeks especially when my head is facing downwards, hanging free from my shoulders.

I like what you wrote
"there was almost irresistible temptation to avoid those movements and so avoid the symptoms. But I knew by doing so, I miss the opportunity for a natural cure" ..

I guess facing the dis-ease is the greatest way to overcome it. I'm really scared with this newly found affliction, but your words inspire me to face it.If you have any tips/pointers on how to overcome the giddy sensations, please share...

Namaste

yamuna, yogini said...

Anonymous, just continue and keep listening to your body. You should start with neck rotations.

Jackie said...

Just wondering whether Yoga Path is having classes for beginners?
if any, detail such as time of classes and rate charged is really appreciated =)

i like your spirit =))

yamuna, yogini said...

Yes, Jackie. Pls go to labels and click Classes Offered and Published Schedule. Looking forward seeing you in the Studio.