Friday, August 21, 2009

Horse-ing

As soon as I managed Surya Namaskara without any difficulties namely NO headache, NO pain in left ear and left base of the skull and most important NO MORE dizziness - I knew I am ready to ride again.

It’s felt so good to be able to do ‘normal’ things that I used to do before the accident – riding is one of my greatest joys. I love the feeling of the ‘wind’ blowing onto my face, it’s closest to flying and gives me the sense of freedom. It became apparent to me that my fitness was important at this point due to long absence of any kind of physical exercises.
Body awareness and conditioning will not only make a difference in my approach to riding but it will made a tremendous difference in the way the horse approaches his time with me. If I am tight or rigid, unfit and out of balance and rhythm with the horse’s movement, both of us will wear out much sooner than necessary. The position and ability to remain flexible and rebalance with movement can change the amount of density and pressure the horse feels on his back. Riding is one-on-one communication, a working, moving lasting partnership and I love every single minute of it.

Personally I believe the best way to ensure longevity in riding is through stretching and strengthening exercise on a regular basis. Stretching regularly will greatly decrease the overall soreness while strengthening is key to the female rider’s upper body protection.

Areas specifically need to isolate and stretch for best results are the inner thighs, hamstring, quadriceps and back. Gaining strength in upper torso will improve posture and balance while in motion.

No comments: