Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What Charity Means......

Charity means to name a few, the following :
Charity (practice), the practice of benevolent giving
Principle of charity in philosophy and rhetoric
Tzedakah, the Jewish concept of giving to worthy causes or people in need.
Sadaqah, the Arabic concept of alms-giving, often translated as "charity"

When I first started to be ‘charitable’ few years back, it’s all started with Karma Yoga. Still remember, every Saturday 3pm I’ll teach for free and it’s open to public and in return they contribute whatever amount preferred by each individual. The responses were amazing, people from all walk of lives attended the class and the experience has taught me how to be a better charitable person!

After a year, Karma Yoga comes to an end with a total collection of RM1,800-ish RM1,500 was donated to a young man for a kidney transplant and balance to Precious Home (a home for abandoned children). I was devastated as I expect more. Yes, my expectations exceed everything! Although I did mentioned Karma Yoga – ‘whatever amount’ but I was too carried away with the word ‘Charity’ and I’ve forgotten what Karma Yoga really means -‘a selfless service to others, by not thinking of own personal needs and desires’. Took me a while to place my feet back on the ground, where I stand!

Now I am doing Karma Yoga, in its true meaning with sincere heart – thanks to June Khaw for opening the door of my heart and showing the way. A Big thank you to Ho’s family, Alice Low, Susan Kho, Tay Che, Karen Tan, Karen A, Sunandhini, May Key, Janice Poon, Georgina Wong, Gilbert Wong, Amanda Yap, Mrs Lee, Pauline Warneck, Hancis, Jamie Bell and the rest of kind hearts out there that I did not mentioned here.

If kindness is imagined as a beautiful dove, then wisdom is its wings. Compassion without wisdom never takes off –Ajahn Brahm.

4 comments:

Gratitude said...

Compassion and wisdom are 2 of the most important components expounded by Buddha as practised fervently by Vajrayana Buddhists.

I'm blessed to know a practitioner of compassion like yourself. The world wld be heaven on earth if everyone had unconditional loving kindness.
+Ant+

yamuna, yogini said...

Likewise here bro.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that i have done something wonderful for you. From the bottom of my heart, i thank you for the support and love shown and all your wonderful friends. Without you my tuition project would not have materialised. Christians too are taught that in giving you shall receive. But i love what Mother Theresa said, "In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love". And all the small things have generated so much love n happiness for the kids, babies and underpriviledged families. Love you all! JK

Anonymous said...

最新聊天室 , 江湖聊天室 , 同城约炮视频聊 , 色情夫妻群qq群 , 免费在线聊天室 , 寂寞聊天交友网站 , 台湾色情视讯聊天 , 韩国视讯聊天室 , uthome影音视讯聊天室 , 正妹视讯聊天室